So this is what I'm lovingly crafting at the moment ...

I am and this site is hosted on it so why don't you do it too?
Maurice Moss
Site Admin

So this is what I'm lovingly crafting at the moment ...

Post by Maurice Moss » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:07 pm

Currently at this date and time which is April the 3rd 2018, 15:48 UTC + 1 (British summer time) this site is run on a machine located in Lost Angeles, California and maintained, most excellently I might add by the hosting company Winhost of which I have been a satisfied customer for many years. I pay for the 'Basic' hosting plan because I'm a cheapskate and it's the cheapest and I have been able to do a lot with it hosting multiple websites on just the one plan etc. but the time has come to move up a notch because I want to do things like have SSL so everything is encrypted https instead of unencrypted http and I want more memory to run my stuff etc. etc. etc.

So I've decided to host my own machine in my own home.

I've already set it up with a MySQL database, Internet Information Services web server, PHP so that I can run this forum software and the most excellent hMailServer email server and here it is:
The chopstick is for a size reference.
Yes IT's TINY! :D and Cute!, it's a Sony VAIO PGN-V11Z
and guess what? It's actually running and serving right now (the time above) as I took that picture!
I usually have it hooked up to a power supply and just forget about it, I access it using Microsoft's Terminal Services so I can use my main PC or my big laptop to control it. It's a bit old actually, only a 32bit processor with a mere 60gb hard drive but it runs Windows 7 Ultimate and I'm actually enjoying figuring out all the things I can get it to run.

It doesn't have a fan so it's totally quiet, here it is again closed:
Those metal things around it are puzzles because that's what setting up a mail server and setting up multiple websites and setting up DNS A records and MX records and setting up phpBB forum and setting up MySQL databases are, they are puzzles until you crack em' :geek:

M

Maurice Moss
Site Admin

Re: So this is what I'm lovingly crafting at the moment ...

Post by Maurice Moss » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:30 pm

And we're off!
Now up and running on that cute little machine above, my Winhost account is no more.

I have 5 websites running on my little server with room for plenty more, all of them are HTTPS encrypted.

I had a few teething problems but I'm getting there.

How much did the ssl certificates cost?

Nothing :lol: